St. Teresa's College, Kochi

St Teresa's College, Park Avenue, Marine Drive, Ernakulam, Kerala, India 0484 2351870
Visit Website Add Favorites Contact Author
st-theresas-college-kochi.jpg



St.Teresa’s College was established on 15th June in the year 1925, as the first Women’s College of the erstwhile Cochin State and the second in the whole of Kerala. It started functioning in one of the large halls of St.Teresa’s High School and in the beginning, the College was a second grade Arts College affiliated to the Madras University and offered the Intermediate Course with Ancient History, Modern History and Logic under Part Ill.

The construction of a separate building for the College was completed in 1926 and the classes were shifted from the High School to this new building the same year. The first batch of students appeared for the University examination in 1927 and came out with excellent results. Fully satisfied by the high standards maintained by St.Teresa’s College, the Madras University was pleased to upgrade the College to the status of a First Grade College in 1927.

The growth of the institution during the post independence era was amazing and got affiliation from the Madras University for Group I Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry for the Intermediate class and it was sanctioned in June 1947. In the following year affiliation was granted for B.Sc. Mathematics main with Physics subsidiary.

To cope with the demands of the rapidly developing courses in science and increased demand for hostel accommodation a new land site was purchased a few furlongs away from the main block of the College. The present ‘New hostel’ with all modern facilities, built in the newly acquired campus was ready for use in 1961. The three-storied Home Science Block with a well-equipped laboratory, library and nursery school was opened in 1963. When Postgraduate courses in Sociology and Botany were started in 1966 the three-storied sociology block was also ready for use in the new campus. By 1972 when the construction of the six-storied Science block building with Teacher’s residence was completed, all the Science Departments were shifted to the new campus.

The history of the College is replete with recognition and awards earned not only for academic excellence but also for the achievements in the field of arts and sports. It has been regularly bagging best college awards for its outstanding merit. The first Women’s basketball team in the state and the University was formed by St.Teresa’s College in 1961. The college also has teams for Volleyball, Softball, Swimming, Shuttle badminton, Table tennis and Kho-kho.

The college has a Computer Laboratory and a well-equipped Computer Centre and the exemplary teaching standards and dedication of the faculty have launched students to greater heights of academic excellence.

Address:
St. Teresa’s College,
Ernakulam – Park Avenue Road,
682011, Kerala, India

Phone: 0484 2351870, 2381312

Email: principal@teresas.ac.in


Website Link Visit Link Here
Phone Number 0484 2351870
Country India
State/Province Kerala
distance: 4,659 Miles
Address St Teresa's College, Park Avenue, Marine Drive, Ernakulam, Kerala, India
Category
Keywords        
No Feedback Received